The Monastery of the Minor Capuchin Friars and the adjacent St. Francis’s Church were built around the 1648 (and no later than 1663, 20 Capuchins’ Monasteries were founded all over the island).
The Franciscan building was built outside the village with a size than more 15,000 square meters. The size of the building suggests a considerable investment and the choice of the Friars to give a certain centrality to the monastery. which is to become one of the most important of the central-southern Sardinia.
Everyone contributed to the construction of this Franciscan home: more notably Francesco Simoni, one of Masullas’ citizen, who advocated for the construction of the monastery in his village.
Inside the monastery, there is a cloister with a spring in the middle built above a big cistern with a capacity of 277 cubic metres of water.
The closure of the church and of the convent was decided by the Suppression Law of Ecclesiastical Authority in 1866, in which the Savoy State (in period of crisis) confiscated the goods of religious institutions; however, the building was finally abandoned on the 28th of january 1855 when the Bishop of Ales Mons. Francesco Zunnui Casula ordered to wall up the communication door between the church and the convent, to put the grates on the external windows and to give the keys, together with the furniture, to the local priest.
Later on, the rooms of the second floor were used as classrooms and, during the Second World War, they were used as offices for fascist militias. Few years later the roof of the monastery collapsed destroying the small friars’ room located in the upper floor, after which the whole architectural complex fell into complete abandonment.
In the 1980’s and 1990’s, the municipality started a long restoration project of the convent and the church undertaking the full recovery of the entire structure, which certainly represents the best the territory can offer from a historical-architectural point of view.
Currently the convent is owned by the Municipality of Masullas while the church was reacquired by the F.E.C. (Buildings of Worship Fund) by the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
Since 2010 the convent houses the “Stefano Incani” MonteArci Geomuseum on the first floor.