St. Lucy’s Church

The St. Lucy’s Church, the second oldest church in Masullas, has been built in the XIV century. During this time, St. Lucy’s Church was the spiritual hub of a small suburb beside another one next to St. Leonard’s Church: the current urbanistic layout with the parish church did not exist at the time. 

The church was the headquarters of the Brotherhood of the Disciplinants, also called the Gonfalon (they practiced and diffused the corporal penitence through self-whipping). The Brotherhood changed their name to Brotherhood of the Saint Christ at later stage. 

In 1789, Ramon Frau, the priest of Masullas, wrote in response to Monsignor Aymerich’s (Bishop of Ales) letter: “In St. Lucy’s Church is where you find the ancient graveyard”. Access to St. Lucy’s Church, as St. Leonard’s one,  was prohibited in 1830 due to its state of neglection, which also affected the simulacrum of the Saint.

The building has a single nave that closes with a wooden roof. The facade is simple and it is completed by a bell tower. 

During the 1980’s, the church was refurbished to address problems with subsidence due to its position in a slope. In support of these additional buttresses were building on the north side of the building.

Still to this day, the church preserves the recently restored sixteenth century sculpture of St. Lucy. Its refurbishment brought to light a red-orange vest decorated with small green daisies and closed at the waist with a mustard color ribbon. The sculpture holds the palm of martyrdom on right hand and a plate with her eyes on top of it on the left hand, the latter being her iconografic attribute.