St. Francis’ Church

St. Francis’ Church, built together with the homonymous friary, has the same features of the seventeenth-century Sardinian Capuchin monasteries: single aisle ends with a squared apsis, covered by a cross vault. On the left side there are two chapels, always with cross vaults. 

The nave closes at the top with a large barrel vault. On the right side, the friary communicates with the church and with the rooms dedicated to the convent life. Lateral walls of the church (north side) are reinforced by buttresses, among which are the cloister spans. 

The facade of the Church narrows towards the top with two slopings and presents two openings: the architraved portal and the circular oculus intended to illuminate the nave. Inside the church there are numerous artwork: in the wall behind the presbytery there is a big canva representing the “Deposition of Christ from the cross”, impressive work from 1833, made by Antonio Caboni, an artist from Cagliari.

It is possible to admire a precious eighteenth-century temple-shaped wooden tabernacle on the altar. The craftsmanship is local, made with great skill and attention to detail: to note the twisted columns, the balconies and the dome.

In 1761 the silver ciborium containing the consecrated host was stolen from the tabernacle and cost the thieves and the entire population a heavy excommunication, composed of rites and terrifying words and delivered by Mons. Giuseppe Maria Pilo, who had been appointed Bishop of the Diocese of Ales only few days before.

Sculptures are many, of excellent workmanship and dating back to the fifteenth, sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. There is also an eighteenth-century canvas frontal painted in tempera with the image of the Madonna and Child in the middle between two saints.